![]() |
| Nanna and I, 1997 |
The earth says hello indeed
There are two songs by La Môme Piaf that I love. Always will. I've already decided that La vie en Rose will be the song Allan and I have as our first waltz when (if) we get married. He knows and has accepted this. Also, I would like to suggest that Non je ne Regrette Rien be played at my funeral. And everyone must sit there and listen, even if it is in french. I will provide an english translation. :) No, I am not a control freak!
![]() |
| Edith Piaf |
So you, my dear reader, need to google the two songs - and make sure you listen to the Edith Piaf versions. And watch the movie, La Vie en Rose. Marion Cotillard is haunting. Beautiful. I cry when she wakes from sleep and is still dreaming, I cry when she sings non, je ne regrette rien. I wonder about the scene at the end.. and her daughter Marcelle. Her love affair with Marcel. As I was watching it, I wondered if Nanna knew about her addictions.
Here's a tangent - about my virtuous grandmother being exposed to life's seedy underbelly. We were watching My Own Private Idaho together when I was 17. I forgot about the gay sex scenes. Awwwwkward. But Nanna sat through the movie. I wonder what she thought. I was horrified. At the end, all she said was "Well I'll tape over that before Trevor sees it". Good idea :)
I want to put the english lyrics here - I've noticed the french and english versions differ - I like them both and havent decided on which one I would sing :) I dont know french, and I cant sing - but if it was my wedding - everyone would have to watch and say it is great anyway :) Thats the polite thing to do. :)
La Vie en Rose
Hold me close and hold me fast
the magic spell you cast
this is La Vie en Rose
When you kiss me heaven sighs
And though I close my eyes
I see La Vie en Rose
When you press me to your heart
I'm in a world apart
A world where roses bloom
And when you speak ... angels sing from above
Everyday words seem to turn into love songs
Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be
La Vie en Rose
The lyrics are pretty and make you feel romantic - but I still like the French too. It feels romantic :) And when you dont understand the language, well thats when you hear the sentiment. Your imaginings create the scenery of the song ...
![]() |
| Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose |
When he takes me in
his arms
And speaks softly to me,
I see life in rosy hues.
And speaks softly to me,
I see life in rosy hues.
He tells me
words of love,
Words of every day,
And in them I become something.
He has entered my heart,
A part of happiness
Whereof I understand the reason.
Words of every day,
And in them I become something.
He has entered my heart,
A part of happiness
Whereof I understand the reason.
It’s he for me and I for him, throughout life,
He has told me, he has sworn to me, for life.
And from the things that I sense,
Now I can feel within me
My heart that beats.
He has told me, he has sworn to me, for life.
And from the things that I sense,
Now I can feel within me
My heart that beats.
And really, I hope that when I take my last breath, I will not regret anything I've done.. or not done. Im 31 now, and there are already those little pangs.. which really are just longings and sadnesses - but when I'm 90 - I hope that all they are, are snapshots of time that I cant really piece together anyway. This will be my song :)
Non, Je ne Regrette Rien (I regret nothing)
Non, rien de rien, (No, Nothing at all)
Non, je ne regrette rien, (No, I regret nothing)
Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait, (Neither the good)
Ni le mal, tout ça m'est bien égal. (Nor the bad, they are
the same to me)
Non, rien de rien, (No, nothing at all)
Non, je ne regrette rien, (No, I regret nothing)
C'est payé, (It's been paid for)
balayé, oublié, (swept away, forgotten)
Je me fous du passé. (I don't give a damn about the past)
Avec mes souvenirs, (My memories)
j'ai allumé le feu, (I have burnt my memories)
Mes chagrins, mes plaisirs, (My sorrows, my pleasures)
je n'ai plus besoin d'eux, (I don't need them anymore)
Balayées les amours, (Swept away the love affairs)
avec leurs trémolos, (and all their tremblings)
Balayées pour toujours, (Swept away forever)
je repars à zéro (I start anew)
Non, rien de rien, (No, nothing at all)
Non, je ne regrette rien, (No, I regret nothing at all)
Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait, (Neither the good)
Ni le mal, tout ça m'est bien égal. (nor the bad, they are all the same to me)
Non, rien de rien, (No, nothing at all)
Non, je ne regrette rien, (No, I regret nothing at all)
Car ma vie car mes joies, (For my life, for my joys)
Aujourd'hui, (Today)
ça commence avec toi. (they start with you).
I suppose that while I'm here, discussing my own funeral, that I would like to be cremated. I want my ashes sprinkled in a rainforest. If it cant be a real tropical rainforest, then somewhere on Mt Glorious. My Nanna's name was Gloria. They wrote songs about her :)



1 comment:
BEAUTIFUL! Haven't seen the movie but love the songs - in French- I like not knowing ALL of what it means, it adds mystery. LA Vie en Rose. Beautiful. ANd not regretting anything - hey, that's the way to live, old lady. I never fear getting old, just getting old without having anything to show for it! AWESOME POST!
Post a Comment