Sunday, June 3, 2012

Real World Luneburg

Luneburg, Germany, my home for the next 4 months
16th March 2001... Staying at Scharnhorststrasse 1a, Campus 1, WGIX, 21335, Lueneburg

It all started when I arrived here yesterday from Hamburg by Interregio train at about midday. It was a huge struggle with my luggage! The suitcase must be about 50kgs. My arm was so sore, during and after the struggle to the top floor of a five story building!

I met Silke at the station, she is very friendly and we got along well. She helped me get that suitcase up the stairs! We then went to the International Student places, she showed me the Supermarket, Library, Cafeteria and the Internet room. We then went to the cioty, and opened a Bank account for me, and I bought towels! Her english is really good, and I must stop spealing it!

I met a girl in the Hostel in Hamburg call Heike, and we spoke German because she couldnt speak English.
My room, possibly the neatest it ever was, in Luneburg
My room in Luneburg is big, with a mattress, desk, table and two couches. The window has a good view of the carpark and some red brick buildings and rooftops. It also has a window seat. I feel a bit lonely, but I guess that will pass when I meet some people.

Luneburg's main street
I have postcards and letters to write, and because I live 15mins walk from the city, I'm going to walk there later and buy an umbrella, or raincoat, because today is rainy! This weekend the Uni has organised a tour of the city, and on SUnday night a 'get to know you' session in the city somewhere.

I'm glad I have a telephone, because now my family can ring me. I'm feeling hungry as its about 8am, and I have been writing for about 2 hours! It's good to finally be here, and be able to leave my stuff somewhere, and come 'home'. There is no place like home, and in about 6 months I'll be home.
 
Luneburg's main street. This was taken after I fell off my bike :)

The city of Luneburg is gorgeous- its so old and medieval looking. Its beautiful. The roads are all stone, except the main highway, and the buildings are all red brick! And they are so picturesque. Everyone looks German, maybe not only in appearance but also in aura. There are so many little differences between AUstralia and Germany, that I am driving myself crazy comparing everything. 



My roommates are nice, but I've only met two. One is helpful, the other seems mocking. Anyway, its only the beginning, and Mum says it will be just like the Real World. Only in Germany!


For Hamburg and Bremen read travel diary.


....


Me, Sylvia and Liz, Roberts Birthday, May 2001.
Robert on his birthday, May 2001
I love the way I kept referring to the 'CBD' of Luneburg (so to speak) as the city. It was pretty small.. but old :) It could've been Sylvia, but I think the flatmate that was helpful was Robert? He was showing me around the Wohnung, I think he was making me tea etc. I couldnt believe he drank herbal tea. That, to me, was so ... um gay! Where I came from, guys didn't drink herbal tea. Especially not raspberry. :)
Frieder owned about 5 bikes. Obsessed!
The one who was mocking was definately Frieder. Herr Frieder Karl Frasch. He did come across as mocking, but he was actually nice.. and turned out to be a good friend there. I remember going back to Luneburg about 4 years later, and in the meantime, I had put on a lot of weight and Frieder was balding. Part of our greeting was to point this out to eachother :)
Silvia, Robert, Frieder and Nadine. I'm on the end. July 2001.
In this photo you can see Silvia, who you will see more of. I liked her, but she also got on my nerves after a while. I tried to stay in good humour.. but often I was cranky on the inside. One thing about Germans, is that they take friendship seriously. We don't. I wasn't always a good friend to Silvia. I do regret that. We walk past someone and will say "Hey, how you going?" without really waiting for an answer. It's really just an acknowledgement that you see that person. In Germany, some people thought I was fake or insincere. Not really. :) I just didn't really care how some people really were ;p Over there, if you acknowledge someone, and say hello, how are you.. you'd better wait for the answer. Even if you get stuck in small talk ;p

And thanks to Nadine, who I didnt really have much to do with, I finally learnt the lesson that not everyone will like me :) We got off to a bad start, and I don't think we ever really got along and we probably saw eachother about 5 times the whole time I lived there. I was whinging to Mum about her not seeming to like me, and Mum said those words. I got it after that. It still took about 10 years to actually take effect ;p

You will definately see more of Liz too. She got that romantic love story I so badly wanted. She met an American guy, Josh, and they fell in love. They are now married and have a beautiful baby girl, Alex. I have a photo of them, in the first flushes of love - unfortunately it was water damaged... but its still cute. Hope you like it Liz :)

Liz and Josh, May 2001




No comments: